The Harborcreek Township Recycling Program, implemented in September 1991, has contributed to conservation of energy and natural resources. Waste Management under a municipal waste and recycling contract currently provides recycling and garbage collection. With a growing awareness of environmental, health, and safety issues, the township has emphasized recycling. The township also encourages composting for leaves, grass clippings and yard trimmings.


Recyclables, collected weekly on your regularly scheduled trash collection day, include:


        Aluminum steel and bi-metal cans (all food, soda, beer cans, & all empty aerosol cans)

        Glass clear and colored (all food & drink containers)

        Recyclable plastics (#1 and #2 recycling symbol shown below on the bottom of the container) such as milk, juice, water, soda, shampoo, lotion, mouthwash, and cleaning products, laundry products such as detergent and bleach bottles, personal care items, peanut butter and salad dressing containers, and automobile product containers such as anti-freeze and windshield washer fluid.

The mouth of the bottle or jar must be smaller than the body.

All of the above items can be placed in the orange recycling bin provided by Harborcreek Township.


Mixed Paper


Mixed paper may be placed together in clear plastic bags and placed at the curb next to your recycling container and away from your trash.


        Mixed paper is white and colored paper, flyers such as used for advertising, envelopes, computer paper, computer printouts, copy paper, adding machine tape, cash register receipts, writing paper, scratch and message paper, post it notes, loose-leaf paper, and junk mail. No gift wrapping paper, paper towels, wax paper napkins or paper contaminated by food waste or other municipal waste.


        Shredded paper can be placed in clear plastic bags.


Corrugated and Mixed Cardboard Pickup


        Corrugated and mixed cardboard must be flattened and tied in bundles no larger than 36 inches x 36 inches. Mixed cardboard is non-corrugated packaging such as cereal, Jell-O, cake mix, cracker boxes, detergent boxes, gift boxes, greeting card boxes, greeting cards, index cards, manila or colored file folder without metal hangers, tissue boxes, tea boxes, envelope boxes, and shoe boxes etc. Remove all liners from boxes and dispose of them in your trash. No milk cartons, tissues, paper towels, gum wrappers, plastic shrink wrap, cellophane wrappers, food wrappers, coffee filters, wax paper, foam egg cartons or mixed cardboard contaminated by food waste. As an alternative, mixed cardboard can still be placed in a clear plastic bag.




Newspaper (with all their inserts even if they are shiny) and newsprint must be tied, bundled or placed in a brown paper bag or plastic bag separated from other recyclables.




Magazines tied, bundled or placed in a brown paper bag or plastic bag separated from other recyclables.




Rinse all containers and flatten plastics. Labels can be left on containers.


Staples, paper clips, rubber bands, and any metal binding clips must be removed from items to be recycled.



Unacceptable Items


Metal items that cannot be placed in the recycling bin include paint cans, flatware, metal cookware, and aluminum trays or foil.


Paper products such as carbon paper, spiral binders, paper plates, blue prints, photos, and foam packing cannot be recycled.


Glass items that cannot be placed in the recycling container include mirrors, crystal, window glass, light bulbs, drinking glasses, or broken glass.


Ceramics, old books, ovenware, aerosol cans that contain any product, and clay flowerpots cannot be recycled.


Manuals with glued bindings, paperback covered books, envelopes with plastic windows, pamphlets, and brochures cannot be recycled.


In junk mail, plastic wrap, stickers, product samples, and membership cards (cut up) should be placed in the trash.


Aluminum siding, aluminum pie tins, aluminum storm doors, aluminum windows and gutters, and aluminum lawn furniture are not accepted for curbside recycling. Contact a local recycler for these items.


Hard plastics such as container lids, plastic toys, and dishware cannot be placed in the recycling bin. Other unacceptable plastics include plastic film, Styrofoam, plastic hangers, plastic planters, plastic pipe, plastic cups, plastic wrap, foam packing, plastic utensils, or any plastic toy, furniture, or gadget. Wide mouth containers such as ice cream pails and margarine tubs are not acceptable.


Unacceptable plastics are containers with symbols #3, #4, #5, #6, and #7 shown below. If there is no code on the bottle or container, do not recycle it.



Plastic Container Coding System


The plastics industry has a coding system for plastic containers identifying bottles and other containers by plastic family type to help recyclers sort plastic containers by resin composition. That symbol on the bottom or side of the plastic container identifies the plastic type.


Recyclable Plastics

Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET or PETE) has #1 in the symbol and is used for soft drink bottles and other packaging applications including edible oils and peanut butter.

High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) has #2 in the symbol and is used in milk containers and detergent bottles.


Non Recyclable Plastics

Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC or V) has #3 in the symbol and its uses include bottles for cooking oils and household chemicals, pipes and fittings, medical tubing, and siding.

Low density polyethylene (LDPE) has #4 in the symbol and its largest use is film for bags such as bread bags or trash bags, frozen food bags, squeezable bottles such as for honey and mustard, furniture, and carpet.

Polypropylene (PP) has #5 in the symbol and is found in screw on caps and lids, some yogurt and margarine tubs, ketchup bottles, syrup bottles, medicine bottles, and straws.

Polystyrene (PS) has #6 in the symbol and is used in aspirin bottles, egg cartons, meat trays, disposable drinking cups, plates, cutlery, compact disc jackets, and foam cups.

A mixture of the above resins or from another resin has #7 in the symbol and is found in three and five gallon reusable water bottles and some citrus and ketchup bottles.


Used plastic supermarket bags should be taken to a grocery store that has provision to receive used plastic supermarket bags.


Used motor oil Contact a local auto supply store, because many auto supply stores that sell oil take used oil. Used motor oil cannot be placed in the trash, and cannot be dumped into storm drains, because storm drains flow untreated into rivers, lakes, and oceans.


New residents of Harborcreek should visit the township building at 5601 Buffalo Road weekdays from 8am to 12 pm and 1 pm to 5pm to receive the recycling bin, instruction sheet and collection schedule.